What a great idea. The app she had seen was called PlantNet (link below).
This prompted me to check out what other Plant identification apps are available in the Australian App Store. Here is a list of what I found in my quick peruse.
- PlantNet (Free - no ratings yet)
- Leafsnap (Free - 3 stars)
- Garden Answers Plant - Disease Identifier (Free - 4.5 stars)
- LikeThat Garden – Flower Identification (Free - no ratings yet)
- Native Plant Guide ($10.00, 3 stars)
- FlowerChecker, plant identification ($1.29 with in-app purchases, no ratings yet)
- NatureGate (Free - no ratings)
Note. App ratings are from zero to 5 stars.
Now, I haven't checked out any of these - I am not a gardener myself - but I will be showing this list to my gardener husband, as I'm sure he'll be interested in trying out one or more.
If you do try out any of these apps and can recommend (or warn against) any of them, please leave a comment against this blog post. Or if you know of any others, please feel free to share their details.