In out past house moves, I have done this - but now that we have been in one place for a long time, our 'contents inventory' is nowhere near up to date!
Well, over the Christmas break I found a FANTASTIC iPhone and iPad app that allows you to create a visual inventory of ANYTHING - including your home contents, things in storage, collections, work documents and files, or anything else for which you need an inventory!
You can even add a $value to each item in your inventory and import or export lists of items. It allows you to set up 'sub-locations' within 'locations' (for example, to categorise your home contents on a per room basis).
The App is called Sortly, and it is currently free in the App Store. Here is the description provided by its developer.
Never lose anything again. Sortly is the ultimate things-organizer app that makes it fun and easy to keep track of all of your physical things. Never waste time searching for anything again. Access your inventory from anywhere with our cloud service.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
STRESS FREE STORAGE
• Create a visual record of everything that you own.
• Track your items with photos, locations, tags, and notes.
• Know where everything is, at all times.
• Save hours of time on unpacking.
EASIER HOUSEHOLD MANAGEMENT
• Create records of your valuables for insurance purposes.
• Keep things organized when packing for your next trip.
• Keep track of details when you’re house-hunting and car shopping.